Capilla de San Miguel de Laredo

UNM School of Architecture students Leroy Duarte and Katie Dix from the Historic Preservation Program have designed a reconstruction of our historic Capilla de San Miguel.

The reconstruction of this chapel, which was built in the 1890’s by Domingo Garcia, housed the statue of San Miguel de Laredo, but it was demolished in the 1960’s. The reconstructed chapel will pay homage to the cultural legacy and history of our Land Grant settlement, and will create a connecting point for our religious processional routes, as well as a place for prayer and meditation. The Capilla will be oriented towards the mountains to reinforce the relationship we have with the natural landscape of the Sandias.